Direction is important in life. Whether you need to navigate down the street or through your life goals, you have to do it with direction in order to achieve your ultimate goals in life! This is the same for your STYLE!! You need to create style direction for what you want your style to be like. Retail brands have style direction to attract their ideal customers to shop via window displays or online. All stylists, whether they are celebrity stylist, fashion stylist or personal stylist have to create a "style" direction for their clients! By creating a direction you create a style vision board that reflects and inspire the style you want to create. I personally think that everyday people should create a style vision board that will constantly inspire them to take action towards creating and improving their personal style.
We all get that feeling of the need to change or to update our style when a new season approaches. As a personal stylist it's my busiest time of the year. My clients rely on me to come up with new looks that will empower them and make them feel brand new! Before I start to shop or do anything I consult with my clients about their current style and lifestyle. After our consultation I take all that we've discussed and create a style board for my client. I then send it over to them via email and we discuss my vision for their new style.
When developing personal style for a upcoming season it is important to create a style vision board.
Honestly I always made style boards for my clients and my styling projects but never made one for myself! Could you believe that! As a stylist I didn't think I needed to create one for myself. But honestly even as a stylist I get stomped and uninspired with what to wear at times. So over the last few years I began to make my style boards and hung them up by my closet, and let me tell you it was truly a lifesaver. I was instantly inspired once I saw my style board and was able to create a look within minutes! Sometimes I do like to plan my looks out a week in advance (you should try it!) I love planning my looks because it gives me a chance to play dress up and I get so excited to see how I will style my pieces differently than before.
You can create a physical or electronic mood board via pinterest.
Here the 5 steps to create your own style vision board:
- Gather all the supplies needed to create your style board
- Canvas, collage paper, create a style file or a secret Pinterest style board
- Fashion, Décor, & Health magazines. It’s important to get various magazines because you can use different elements that will inspire the feel that you're going for as well.
- Scissors (if your doing a physical board)
- Collect everything that inspires the style you want to create. Look through magazines, visit style blogs and websites. A great place to start is lookbook.nu (thank me later) it's filled with people sharing their individual style from all over the world! Vogue.com and whowhatwear.com are great sources as well.
- Once you collect your images physically or electronically sort them out into a few categories. Based on the recurring themes from your pile; group them accordingly (i.e black & white looks, layered looks, colors, etc)
- After grouping them go through each pile and choose the images that truly represent the style you're trying to achieve and that you truly love. Make sure that it reflects your lifestyle and that's it not far fetch from wardrobe
- Here comes the fun part, (at least it is for me) putting the chosen images on the your board! If you decided to do it electronically then you can view everything in one place by categories online.
Viola you created your style mood board for the season! Get excited! You can use this when you go shopping to help you focus on purchasing the pieces that will create your fall style this season. Just snap a picture on your phone and bring your style board with you!
I personally think that everyone should take the time to create their personal style vision board. Overall it will visually inspire you and direct you into creating the style you want to achieve daily. Your style vision board will help you find your aesthetic and develop your personal style.
Creating a style vision board for each season will visually inspire you and direct you into creating the style you want to achieve daily.
I've started collecting images for my Fall 2015 mood board but I was waiting to receive all my September issues (which I did) to finalize it and put my board together. I'm so excited for fall and can't wait to share my board with you!
Are you excited for Fall? Will you make a style vision board this season?